If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (631) 924-1801

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

When Space Heaters Cause Fire Damage in Patchogue

2/25/2020 (Permalink)

fire damaged bedroom. smoke and soot on walls An unattended space heater caused a fire this room. Be sure to follow safety procedures when using space heaters.

Space Heater Plus Extension Cord Equals Fire Damage in Patchogue  

If you currently use a space heater with an extension cord or power strip and have not experienced fire damage, you have been fortunate. The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has found that more than 25,000 residential fires happen yearly due to space heaters.  

A homeowner in Patchogue had fire damage from using a space heater plugged into an extension cord in a bedroom and left it running while sleeping. The cord overheated, and although contained to a small area, the charring needed significant cleanup.  

Disposal of Charred and Unrestorable Items

With the homeowner's approval, the techs removed the charred table, chairs, bedding, and mattresses from the bedroom. Fortunately, the solid wood headboard, railings, and footboard had restoration potential through immersion cleaning to remove all traces of soot and smoke residues.  

Removal of Smoke Damage

The techs tested the smoke residues on the wall around the bed to confirm it was dry smoke and required lifting away. This type of residue can get driven into surfaces and cause more loss if wet cleaning products or scrubbing actions get used. Once the cleanup completed, odor control applications made the bedroom ready for a new mattress and bedding. 

Space Heater Safety

SERVPRO recommends the following safety tips for anyone using a space heater, particularly in the bedroom:  

  • Use the space heater in a dry location, never use in the bathroom as the moisture has the potential to damage the interior of the heater 
  • The space heater should be plugged directly into the electrical outlet and never into a strip plug or extension cord 
  • When running a space heater, it should be the only device plugged into the outlet as they draw much power during operation 
  • Unplug the heater when not using 
  • If going to sleep or leaving the room, turn off the heater and unplug it 
  • Place the heater at least three feet in distance from any combustible items and never run electrical cords under rugs or carpeting as they can ignite and cause a fire if the cord overheats. 

SERVPRO of Patchogue at (631) 924-1801 has expert, certified technicians available 24/7 for fire damage restoration services. With their advanced equipment and using the latest methods for cleaning, they make the fire loss, "Like it never even happened." 

More about Patchogue.

Other News

View Recent Posts