Extreme Heat Safety Tips To Prepare Your Home
As summer approaches, it is time to consider safety precautions for extreme heat in the coming months. Heat affects all people but especially the young, elderly, sick and overweight. Urban area residents also have a greater chance of being affected than those who live in rural areas due to the heat island effect.
Here is how to prepare your home for extreme heat:
- Install window air conditioner snugly, insulate if necessary.
- Check air-conditioning ducts for proper insulation.
- Install temporary window reflectors (for use between windows and drapes), such as aluminum foil-covered cardboard, to reflect heat back outside.
- Weather-strip doors and sills to keep cool air in.
- Cover windows that receive morning or afternoon sun with drapes, shades, awnings or louvers. (Outdoor awning or louvers can have reduced heat from entering the house by up to 80 percent)
- Keep storm windows up all year.